THE EFFECTIVENESS OF STUDENT TEAMS ACHIEVEMENT DIVISION (STAD) IN TEACHING READING COMPREHENSION OF THE FIRST SEMESTER STUDENTS OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE EDUCATION STUDY PROGRAM
Strategy plays the important role to make students understand reading materials. Teachers should be able to choose right teaching strategy in order to make the students interested more in learning beacause they enjoy learning and reading the given material. This study was conducted to find out whether the use of STAD in teaching of reading comprehension is effective to improve the student reading comprehension achievement. The design of the study was experimental reasearch. The study was conducted in Islamic University of Balitar. the researcher takes one class of the first semester students of english language education study program in the islamic university of balitar blitar in the academic year 2016/2017. and in analyzing the data, the researcher used the statistical procedures namely dependent T-test. The finding of this study is the score that students got after treatment increased. It means that the hypothesis alternative is accepted and the null hypothesis is rejected. By those facts, Ho hypothesis is rejected and H1 hypothesis is accepted. Thus, it can be concluded that using STAD method in teaching reading comprehension proved to be effective in increasing teh students ’ reading comprehension achievement.
Ary, D., Jacobs, C. L., Rezavieh, A. 2002. Introduction to Research in Education Sixth Edition . United States: Wadsworth Tomson Learning.
Brown, H. D. 2001. Teaching by Principles an Interactive Approach to language Pedagogy (2nd ED ). San Francisco: San Francisco State University.
Byrnes. 1998. Strategies for Developing Reading Skills. (on line), (http://niaidroose.wordpress.com/ strategies -“ for -“ developing -“ reading - skills/, downloaded on April 04th, 2014).
Cahyani, I. M. 2013. The Effect of Student Teams Achievement Division (Stad) on Students ’ Reading Comprehension Ability. http://www.fkipunisma.ac.id/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Istirocha-Murtanti-Cahyani_2013.pdf, accessed on April 09th , 2014.
Creswell, John W. 2008. Educational Research (Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative, and Qualitative Research). United States of America. Pearson Education.
Grabe, W. 2010. Reading in Second Language Moving from Theory to Practice. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Grellet, F. 1981. Developing Reading Skills A practical Guide to Reading Comprehension Exercise. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Harmer, J. 2007. The Practice of English Language Teaching (4th edition). England: Pearson Education.
Mikulecky, B. S. 2011. A Short Course in Teaching Reading Practical Techniques for Building Reading Power (2nd edition). New York: Pearson Education.
Mistar, J. 2010. Pedoman Penulisan Thesis. Malang: Program Pasca Sarjana Universitas Islam Malang
Slavin, R. E. 1995. Cooperative Learning Theory, Research, and Practice. Boston: A Symon & Schuster Company
Utami, R. T. 2013. The Effectiveness of Using Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) on students ’ Reading Comprehension of MAN 1 Tulungagung. Malang. Islamic University of Malang
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
- Author grant the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License