STUDENTS’ STRUCTURAL AND CULTURAL PROBLEMS IN TRANSLATING FROM INDONESIAN INTO ENGLISH
This study is aimed at evaluating the lexical, grammatical and cultural problems faced by students of translation subjects in translating from Indonesian into English. The subjects of this study were students with low average ability. The findings show that students have problems in translating lexical, grammatical and cultural items. Based on the results of the analysis, it can be concluded that the problems are caused by low mastery of lexis, grammar and culture. It is recommended that the lecturers of translations give attention to these three aspects.
Keywords: Translation, lexis, grammar, culture.
Received: 10 June, 2016; Accepted: 8 September, 2016
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
- Author grant the journal, right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License